Wednesday, January 1, 2014

A Fresh Start

"Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it." ~ Lucy Maud Montgomery  

 
2014. The beginning of a new year. This is around the time people begin making resolutions. And so, I would like to share my own New Year's resolution with you; I also would love if you would join me in this quiet mission.
 
"What is this resolution?" you might ask. It is something very simple: contrition. It is taking a step away from our vain pursuits and desires in order to examine the conscience. I don't know about you, but often when I take a good hard look at the state of my soul I find the nooks and crannies filled with cobwebs. Sinful habits leak into my day and weaken me spiritually. Thus I must periodically consider my days and just how they are spent.
 
We sometimes grow disheartened and decide to simply live with the massive spiders. Or perhaps we allow our forgiven sins to continue to haunt us. This is not biblically founded. For our merciful Lord longs to cast the sins and scars from your soul. "As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our iniquities from us." Psalm 102:11-13 Of course, this is only possible when we accept the will of God and renounce our own.

Basically, the Lord loves you...most ardently. I know we've all heard it before. It's plastered across the bumpers of minivans and printed unto kid's bookmarks and erasers. It brings to mind your preschool CCD classes. It has been used so lightly we have almost become weary of the very words. But bear with me a moment; think about what is really being said. Our Lord ardently loves you. Yes, he knows you...quite well, I might add! And still he is the lover of your soul.  
 
So with a new year upon us, I propose a fresh start. Our Lord longs to give us his forgiveness, all he is waiting for is our "yes". Even if you are devote and faithful, perhaps it is a good time to look for your own cobwebs growing in the corners of your soul. If we desire Christ to fill every part of us, we'd best chase away those pesky spiders!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts or questions!