Tuesday, July 8, 2014

My Summer Reading List

So I've gone on and on about why you ought to read worthwhile books this summer, so I thought I might share with you the books I'll be pouring over. I must admit, a novel or two did sneak in there. But they were just such intriguing stories! So here are the books on my list. Some I've already read, some I'm part way through, and others I've yet to grab from the library. But without further ado...

Scarlett by Alexandra Ripley 
It was oh so good to finally discover what happened to the famous pair Scarlett O'Hara and Rhett Butler! Yes, it was a long read. 884 pages, to be exact. But it was wonderful to follow Scarlett as she at last returned to Tara and pursued true and lasting happiness.

Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier 
I actually already read this book a few weeks ago. But it is truly the most delightful read I have encountered in years. I found it very easy to relate to the main character, and the shocking twists the plot took made it a real page-turner. This is perhaps my new favorite novel. 


Hints on Child Training by H. Clay Trumball 
Written by a father of eight, this book is acclaimed to be the "single best volume on the subject of child training ever written". A valuable tool for women intending to one day marry and raise a family. 

The Herbal Drugstore by Linda White MS and Steven Foster 
Comparing herbs to over-the-counter antibiotics, this is an invaluable resource. Although in all honestly, I don't know that I'll read the 624 pages from start to finish, I am looking forward to comparing and contrasting natural medicine to the medication we are expected to use.

Women's Life in Colonial Days by Carl Holliday 
Using letters and diaries from the 16th century, we are given a glimpse into the life of a woman from the colonial era. I love history, and it is fascinating to discover what really happened in our nation's past. Thus far I have been amazed at what I've learned!

The Home Medical Library Volume I by Kenelm Winslow, B.A.S., M.D.
Although I've never had the stomach for this sort of thing, it goes without saying that knowing how to handle a medical emergency is always a good idea!

So there you have it! This list will undoubtedly expand as the summer progresses. And I'll probably end up rereading those old favorites of mine, a habit I too often fall prey too. But for now this is it! I hope you'll hit the books and enjoy the simple pleasures of reading this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts or questions!