Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Becoming the Brady Bunch?

Do you ever wonder what is wrong with you? I have. Particularly on occasions such as when I was  looking about in a consignment shop, minding my own business. Out of nowhere, an older gentleman randomly came up to my family and exclaimed, "Wow!" (There was an awkward pause since he exclaimed this with way  too much gusto and seemed to stagger backwards at the sight of my sister and myself.) "You look like the Brady Bunch or something!" Now I wasn't wearing white boots or straight, long blonde hair so needless to say I was initially puzzled at his statement. I mean, there were only two of us there! Didn't the Brady Bunch have six kids? I can only imagine if this fella saw the rest of my family!

I asked my dad about it later, pondering how on earth we remotely resemble the 70's television show. His reply was, "It's because you're wholesome. And that's something the world doesn't see anymore. Everyone is used to seeing young people with their heads down, staring at a screen. It's rare to see them looking up and engaging with others." Sadly, this is very much the case. We have become so accustomed to seeing broken families and disgruntled kids, a happy household is a rarity.


Sometimes I feel a bit like a freak when strangers comment on how unusual we are and question us on our lifestyle. I wonder to myself, is it that obvious I'm a homeschooler? I mean, yes I know we wear skirts and educate at home. And I will admit, we aren't the most technically advanced family in the neighborhood. And the real kicker, we're traditional Catholics. But does that really warrant all the perplexed stares, worried comments, and constant advice? I always found it ironic that the very people who are amazed at how well-behaved and educated we are, suddenly grow concerned for our development after hearing we're home-schooled.

So long story short, I've slowly grown accustom to explaining and even defending my way of life. I have come to terms with the fact that my family and myself have chosen a rather unusual lifestyle, and thus will always draw attention from others. And you know what, it's alright to live a life set apart from the world. So if ever you feel rejected or isolated because of your values, rejoice! It means you're doing things right! "If you had been of the world, the world would love its own: but because you are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefor the world hateth you." John 15:18

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts or questions!