Monday, September 15, 2014

At First Glance

Alright, so first of all I would like to apologize for taking so terribly long to post something. I've been going through some major changes as a freshman in college and then our dog had seven precious but oh-so-crazy puppies, and consequently blogging was more or less put on the back burner. But I'm posting to let you know that I'm not going anywhere. Although with papers and essays to write (I'm currently juggling not one, but two English classes!) I may not get things out as quickly as I might like, I will definitely do my best to continually post fresh and worthwhile articles for you.

Yes, he was one of the 7 distractions. :) But surely you can see how it's so
hard to work when you have those eyes staring up at you!

With that being said...

Here is something I stumbled across in my readings a few weeks ago that struck me as worth sharing, "There's nothing as significant as a human face. Nor as eloquent. We can never really know another person, except by our first glance at him. Because, in that first glace, we know everything. Even though we're not always wise enough to unravel the knowledge." This fascinating idea came from the brilliant fictional writer Any Rand's novel The Fountainhead. I remember re-reading this paragraph, curiously pondering the words and deciding if I agreed with them or not. I paused to recall the faces of people I know. I examined their personalities, dreams, and struggles and compared them to what I see written upon their faces. And naturally the question crossed my mind, "What do people see when they look upon me?" I couldn't help but race to the mirror to examine my countenance. While I did so, I wondered just what people see when first meeting me.

So would you say that this is true, that we are so vulnerable as to display our entire person upon our countenance? I have toyed with this question for days now, and feel no nearer to the answer than as the first moment I learned of it. But I suppose it doesn't truly matter if we stand totally unguarded before our fellow man, or if we can mask our true selves from the world. Rather, the real question for you is that were this the case...just what would a person see written upon your countenance. Would it be joy, charity, or understanding? Or do you shiver at the thought of everyone knowing your true person? It is worth thinking about!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts or questions!